- Stanford University, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.A., History
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
Stuart M. Paynter | Principal
1200 G Street, Suite 800 • Washington, DC 20005 • (202) 626-4486 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Stuart Paynter's practice concentrates exclusively on plaintiff-side commercial litigation with a focus on commercial class actions on behalf of consumers nationwide. Recently, Mr. Paynter was heavily involved in litigation on behalf of NCAA student-athletes seeking to protect them from exploitation by the NCAA and large corporations. In addition to his class action practice, Mr. Paynter maintains a select docket of contingency representations of individuals and small businesses. Currently, Mr. Paynter represents the author of the original Madden football video game in a royalty dispute with Electronic Arts.
Mr. Paynter is an alumnus of Sullivan & Cromwell, where he represented Microsoft in the antitrust suit brought by the Department of Justice and several state attorneys general, as well as in numerous consumer class actions brought in federal and state courts around the country. Prior to that, Mr. Paynter clerked for the Hon. David S. Tatel of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.
Mr. Paynter has also undertaken extensive pro bono work. While at Sullivan & Cromwell, Mr. Paynter represented a class of Portsmouth, Virginia residents who alleged racial discrimination by the City of Portsmouth and a private developer. That case settled on favorable terms to class members. In addition, Mr. Paynter represented the Chesapeake Bay Foundation in assisting them with storm-water advocacy in the District of Columbia.
- What a Tangled Family Tree We Weave: Trademarks, publicity rights, and the cross-pollination of First Amendment defenses through video games • Co-authored with Celeste H.G. Boyd • Journal of Int’l Media & Entertainment Law, Vol. 4, No. 1 (2011–2012)
State Bar Admissions
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
Federal Bar Admissions
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina